PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Delays and compensation.
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2010, 12:28
cortilla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Delays and compensation.

Just thought i'd dabble in a forum i've never been to before but i'm sure there must be some knowledgeable people who can help me out.

Flew back from france the other day. On check in I was told that there would be a delay to the flight of approx 45 mins as the flight was late inbound from the UK (Uk operator and the return portion of an out and return booking). Fine delays happen.

When we go to the gate for the expected boarding time a PA is made saying that the aircraft had arrived however there would be a further 30 min delay as the aircraft needed a technical inspection. This is an hour after the original scheduled departure time.

30 mins after the annoucement is made the gate staff just walk off (so approx 1 hr 30 mins after original scheduled departure time) . No representative of the ground handling agent to be found anywhere in the terminal until approx 3hrs30 mins after original scheduled departure time. This time one person turns up and says plane's been fixed, we'll be boarding in 15 mins. Which we do.

So from original departure time to boarding the a/c was 3hrs45 mins.

Then eventually captain comes on apologizes for delay explains the reason of the technical problem all fixed etc etc and we would be getting going asap.

After departure cabin crew start service and say everyone would be entitled to a free soft drink. (yay)

Anyhoo here's the question.

Reading the european regulations i'm lead to believe that for a delay of this kind we would be entitled to meals, 2 free phone calls drinks and compensation of 250 euros. We were offered nothing apart from the 1 free soft drink onboard, and no representatives of the ground handling company anywhere to be found to ask questions.

However I'ver also heard that the UK high court has refered the case of compensation back to the european court of justice.

But i'm also lead to believe if i get know joy from the airline then i'm likely to need to persue it in country of departure (france)

Anyone have any suggestions pointers and a french equivalant of the air transport users council.

Like i said i'll be writing to the airline involved but i doubt i'll get any joy. so just trying to work out what to do after.

Cheers for the info.