PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - School options at Moorabbin
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2010, 06:04
Old Akro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This thread will generate all sorts of opinions about favorable schools. However, I think the best school is the one that has the instructor that you get along with well and who has a style that you learn from best.

If you have airline ambitions, there may be some advantage in one of the bigger schools with an established brand, but other than that, I'd go and see some schools, see if you like the feel of the place, meet some instructors and see who you like. I think all the schools will welcome you and not think you are wasting their time.

In the olden days there used to be debates about the regional airports (I learned at the now built on Casey Airfield in Berwick) being better because you got more flying time (no transit time to the training area) and learned to land better on shorter grass / gravel strips. The Moorabbin strength on the other hand is that you learn better radio & traffic discipline. However, this debate (like the old airports) has largely gone.

There is also the perennial debate about high wing (typically Cessna 150) or low wing (typically Piper Warrior). Its likely that you will end up having a preference for high wing or low wing depending on your first aircraft, but once again I think its largely irrelevant. The important thing is to get going. Once you have a licence, I'd be trying to get a diversity of aircraft & airfield experience.

So, go and meet some instructors at schools and go with who you like best. If the school doesn't welcome you doing this, then cross them off the list. I'd do a couple of "trial introductory flights" while you are at it. Its one of the schools main marketing tools. Don't be bashful about asking. It lets you sit in the aeroplane and see the instructors style.