PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My Options? Advice Appreciated......
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2002, 13:32
scroggs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Simon, congratulations on obtaining what sounds like an interesting and potentially rewarding job at such a young age. Let me ask you a question: do you think you'd have had more chance of getting that web-development job if you'd been a qualified airline pilot? No? Then don't expect airlines to give a great deal of credit for your HTML skills!

Airlines recruit pilots. Pilots need three things: a licence, relevant experience (i.e. flying hours), and a personality that others can get on with. The amount of experience varies depending on the position being offered; the licence comes with sufficient investment of time and money; and the personality is down to you alone!

Now, you ask about sponsorships. Unfortunately, they are few and far between at the moment, and I don't expect that to change significantly in the next 18 months to two years - maybe longer. Do a search here to see what's currently on offer - but don't hold your breath! By the way, you'll see many references to a 'sponsorship' by a company called Malgus. In my opinion, what they offer is no more than a lottery, but please judge for yourself. Don't post a thread asking about them; there are plenty already!

So, what're your options? Carry on with your job, do your PPL, learn as much as you can about integrated and modular training towards an ATPL, and hope that things pick up faster than I think they will! You've got plenty of time, enjoy your new-found prosperity.

Last edited by scroggs; 11th Aug 2002 at 16:43.