PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How far would you take this?
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2010, 18:23
G SXTY

Supercharged PPRuNer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a Flybe pilot I would be very disappointed if one of my colleagues answered a reasonable request in that manner. If you feel strongly enough about it, contact the airline, advise them what happened and the flight details, and they can take it up with the crew member concerned.

However, I would make a couple of observations. Firstly, in my experience, during the captain's (or FO's) welcome PA, if the flight is delayed, we would invariably apologise and do our best to explain the reason for the delay. I tend to go one further and repeat the message (and the latest ETA) during the cruise PA. More times than I care to remember this is followed swiftly by a call from the cabin: "A passenger wants to know what time we'll be landing". In other words, many PAs are not heard or listened to.

Secondly, I could give you a litany of examples of passenger comments ranging from sarcasm through extreme rudeness to downright offensiveness. I hear much of it from the flight deck as people board. For example, the business traveller who got on this morning and asked: How late are we going to be today?" (We boarded 20 minutes before scheduled departure, pushed 5 minutes early and arrived at our destination 15 minutes early). Or the chap who was shouting (literally) at the cabin crew last week because he'd got wet walking to the aircraft and was convinced there was a conspiracy to delay boarding until it started raining. Or the respectable looking 'gentleman' who reduced one of our senior cabin crew members to tears and called him a "poof". I could go on, but you get the point. The cabin crew have to put up with this every day, and while I have no doubt someone is about to tell me it's part of the job, they are only human, and we all have a breaking point. It's quite possible (likely even) that the cabin crew member who spoke to you had a similar incident prior to your conversation, and had simply run out of patience.

I am not suggesting that you yourself were rude, or that you don't listen to the PAs, nor am I attempting to condone the crew member's behaviour – I am merely offering one possible explanation, as well as trying to explain the environment in which they work.