PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RFDS Western Operations
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2010, 12:30
Wally Mk2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'morno' my views are just that, views, opinions & beliefs. I make no bones about some basic facts here. SE Ops is suicide for Eg, but that's just me, my opinion:-) If someone doesn't agree such as yourself I respect that.

The 'Pig' is an entirely diff airframe arrangement with virtually nothing in common with the current design types, IE normal plan form for a fixed wing craft & the 'pig' has no cargo door, that alone would preclude it's use as Aero Med Ops in Oz if for no other reason than OH&S issues unless many issues where addressed. I'm not too sure of the crew req's either for the 'PIG',may need 2 drivers up front meaning more cost. The 'PC' has been used world wide & therefore was easier to implement down under I'd go as far as to say that the 'pig' isn't as widely used. The 'PC' also was implemented purely based on economics, being a SE plane with almost the same mission capabilities as the old Beech but cheaper, the 'PIG' am sure would cost a bomb to buy/operate much like the old Beech does. The only advantage the 'PIG' has is speed but that's only useful in some missions, like I have said here before any business needs to use it's 'tools' in the most efficient way, the 'PIG' doesn't fit in the current 'tool' box for our Ops.

I wouldn't be too surprised if someone made a decision to buy/use a 'PIG' in the future for Med Ops as many whom make these decisions haven't got a clue anyway! Still I shall have a smile on my face the day a 'PIG' enters service here for Med Ops as I won't be driving one..........I hope!

As for jets? Well a lot easier to operate & maintain in certain circumstances.
But each airframe has it's limitations.I used to fly a LR35 on Aero Med Ops all over the planet & by far per mile the old Lear was cheap airfarme compared to a B200 but couldn't do it all hence each airframe has it's limitations. Trust me the insurance Co's couldn't give a stuff if the plane they are hiring to do a retrieval had 1 or 3 engines jets or props & no dunnies, all they care about is the lowest cost!

Wmk2

P.s.........as for me looking backwards? Now look who's calling the kettle black...........you rear pusher 'PIG' lover