PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helmets in offshore ops?
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2010, 08:25
Colibri49

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Divisive" is an accurate word to apply to me, or anyone who just doesn't happen to agree with you. That's what this sort of discussion is about; dividing participants into camps for and against. Otherwise there wouldn't be anything to discuss.

As far as aircon goes, our employer wouldn't spend a penny to get it retro-fitted in these cooler regions of the world. But fortunately it comes fitted as standard in the S92, which is handy for the pilots flying them to get relief from the discomfort which only some may experience due to sweating.

Sweating happens to a minority even in the winter while wearing immersion suits over thick underwear, having cabin heating turned on and flying towards the sun.

So far the majority doesn't seem to agree with me on this forum and nor did I expect it, having been involved in similar discussions previously. But a few comments seem to support my contention that the wearing of helmets shouldn't be made compulsory in North Sea operations.

That's all I wanted to achieve by sticking my oar into this topic. I hope that more North Sea pilots will speak up against being forced to wear helmets, should that situation ever arise. However such developments often start out being sold as optional and become compulsory soon thereafter.

Anyone out there reading this who happens to agree that helmets should remain optional, please be ready to stand up and be counted the first time this subject gets raised again at work. And it will.