PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helmets in offshore ops?
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2010, 07:11
2papabravo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys flying offshore here in Australia, including myself, wear a helmet if they want to, pilots simply exercise personal choice in the matter.
How very refreshing...the common sense approach. I cannot understand how this couldn't be adopted in the North Sea

In 5 years, I've never had a passenger complain about it!
As I said and expected, the PAX won't batter an eyelid...maybe a slight look of interest the first time they see one in operation...

The only comment I received and there was only one, from a helideck person was "you are wearing your helmet today".
Funny that, appears to support my last statement

latest Gentex in 2002 with CEP(earplugs with a microphone inside the earplug) and this was a great step forward in technology for noise/fatigue reduction.
For some of us, it could actually make a significant improvement in fatigure/distraction Colibri.

I wouldn't hesitate to make my AME understand how uncomfortable and distracted any helmet would make me. Having obtained a 'line' from the AME excusing me from wearing a helmet, if my employer were to try dismissing me I would involve BALPA and be pleased if the press were to get involved.

This would probably alert offshore workers to the safety issues raised by potential distraction caused during flight, due to being forced to wear something which could be likened to wearing a hair shirt for some pilots.
A very dramatic response for something that has proved to pose few issues in other operating areas around the world.

It is a precarious route to follow when our employers and authorities start bowing to pressure from groups like families of the bereaved, to decide what equipment we should wear or carry. Particularly in cases where it's uncertain whether such equipment might have made a difference.

My interest in this topic doesn't stem one tiny little bit from 'families of the bereaved'. I'm simply a pilot, looking to maximise the protection of my hearing, improve comfort when flying in sunny conditions and if it protects my noggin' during an accident then even better. But as I don't plan and contacting the ground/sea...I'm hoping its the first two that I really benefit from.