PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help! Son wants to be a pilot.
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2010, 05:51
doubleu-anker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Correct.

When I began learning,(haven't stopped) there was no"modular" or "integrated" routes that I knew of. The self improver route was an option. However that has now been destroyed along with almost everything else the the JAA/EASA have got their hands on. Come back the UK CAA, all is forgiven!

The weeding out process should be done at employer level, not at the licencing stage. The FAA have it about right, or a damned sight better than the clowns in Europe. It has now become in many cases, who has or can get their hands on the most money. Like the process in a Banana republic, who has the most clout/money that gets the job. This is not necessarily the guarantee of selection of the best person for the job. Many young people have been turned off and away from pursuing a career in aviation in Europe for that very reason. Of course this is all in the name of "progress" and "worlds best practice".

The advice about getting a foot in the door is very good, getting a job, cleaning a/c, loading aircraft etc., being around people that are in the business. We all learn a lot from this site, from others.

It is difficult for the youngsters today, in any line of work or business but it still it can be done.

I certainly wouldn't advise anyone to follow and aviation career, for a job alone. It really has to be a "calling". There is no real enjoyment in the job anymore as far as I am concerned. Even flying for recreation or as a hobby, they have done their best to destroy. Admittedly there has been some progress as far as "deregulation" is concerned on aircraft, below certain weights.