PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UPS Aircraft Down In Dubai
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2010, 01:40
RustyNuts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For some of those who find that number unbelievable, I'm sure many of those packages are "envelopes"...i.e.-overnight letters...

None the less, the situation remains the same...Night Freight is what it is, and pilots accept it as such...

Unless you as a trusted "Ground CREW" deliberetly load some spooky stuff on my A/C, I'm behind you 100%
Yes, many of them are the overnight letters but the volume will fill 120+ planes a night.

I was on vacation last week when one of my crew members called to tell me of the accident. I have to say that in that moment my heart sunk and I felt physically ill. Every night I go up those stairs and talk to my pilots while they sign off the load plan and NOTOC and I'd hate for any one of them not to come back the next night.

After reading RustyNuts answer, I'm afraid to ask the obvious question; Don't you screen all cargo?
If not, we have the worlds largest security hole flying over our heads.
There really is no way to screen every package, and it's not just UPS. Take a package to a FedEx counter, or even the post office and they will ask you if there is anything liquid, perishable or potentially hazardous in the box. They don't -- can't really -- confirm that you're not lying to them when you tell them no. They have the right to open any package but there is just no time to do so.

Add to that, most people probably don't understand that things you buy in the grocery store or at Walmart are hazardous. I told my mom about the accident and her first question was "What happened?" My guess then was a HAZMAT fire so I told her so. At first she was shocked that we transported hazardous material and asked "Like what?" When I pointed out just about everything under the sinks in her bathroom and kitchen she had no idea. I'm betting that she's not alone.