PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Weight and balance?
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2010, 22:53
Phil Rigg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JT I agree with your TOW and ZFW comments. This simplifies the matter to the point it doesn't even need a calculation but just a reference table look-up which is safer as it avoids the human fallibility of making 'calculation errors'.

Note I did say "usually, but not always," to cover all eventualities. I was also just postulating the general trend as a possible explanation of the "W & B unimportant after departure" myth rather than trying to be precisely correct.

Thanks for the comments on seat assignments. That makes complete sense.

It would still be good to hear from CC the full list of reasons in their experience why they are asked to move passengers?

Clearly with all aspects of preparing an aircraft to depart its W & B is a very dynamic issue. All the more to ask why if moving one passenger three rows or even frog marching them off the flight at the last minute, as the mod suggested, are all that relevant? Given the lack of precision in the W & B calculation moving one passenger could inadvertently cause a marginal reduction in envelope margin rather than the desired improvement.

The truth of the matter is that a full and precise W & B calculation check should be done after each change in load including knowing exact weights and loading datum arms of all cargo, passengers, fuel loading, etc. but seeing as this is so impractical it is never done this precisely.

Last edited by Phil Rigg; 12th Sep 2010 at 23:30.