PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helmets in offshore ops?
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2010, 22:07
Colibri49

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2) Helmets causing heat and distraction - this is not exactly objective. No it isn't an objective statement and nor could it ever be, in my opinion. Such a matter as whether certain items of clothing or equipment worn by an individual are comfortable can only ever be assessed by the subject wearing them.

Hence I feel justified in making such an observation subjectively. This is the essence of my contention that the wearing of helmets in the theatre where I fly will have to remain optional, just as the wearing of fitted earplugs which my company issued is optional.

We have recently been issued with superb headsets, but after a few hours of wearing them on a warm day it's a relief to take them off. So there's no chance that I'm going to get used to wearing a helmet for hours on end.

It is a precarious route to follow when our employers and authorities start bowing to pressure from groups like families of the bereaved, to decide what equipment we should wear or carry. Particularly in cases where it's uncertain whether such equipment might have made a difference.

For example they could insist that we wear many specified thick layers under our immersion suits, or that we should always wear thermal gloves while flying over the sea rather than trying to don them after a ditching.

It's a bit facetious to suggest that our passengers might regard us as dirty pongos. If they get told that some human beings, i.e. some of we pilots sweat more than others and find the consequent itchiness a distraction, why should they find that hard to believe? They get uncomfortable and sweaty in their immersion suits too.

I wouldn't hesitate to make my AME understand how uncomfortable and distracted any helmet would make me. Having obtained a 'line' from the AME excusing me from wearing a helmet, if my employer were to try dismissing me I would involve BALPA and be pleased if the press were to get involved.

This would probably alert offshore workers to the safety issues raised by potential distraction caused during flight, due to being forced to wear something which could be likened to wearing a hair shirt for some pilots.