PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Payday at Arik Air
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2010, 22:07
Oba1kanobe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snoop

Word from the pilot meeting is:

1. No plans to pay you on time. Didn't even offer some typical rubbish lies.

2. A330 pilots / cabin crew are in fact paid on time, because they are on a London contract. So is every other expat, of course. Those "bad" expats with London contracts operating Q400, CRJ, and B737 fleets will continue to be paid late; very late. Or maybe never, which is bound to happen if things don't turn around soon.

3. Arik may lose the London Heathrow gates from BA for the usual Arik reasons; Late, later, and cancelled. And probably not paid for.

4. Arik has added 2 additional levels of service beyond Late, Later, and Cancelled... filthy and hungry. That's right; to London and back, no cleaning, no catering. Unpaid catering in London. But, passengers were welcome to feast on the leftover catering that started in Lagos.

5. Things are in such disarray that the COO (3 months on the job) is chasing about for tires. Yes, that's at least part of what he spends his day doing. Very productive.

6. The new COO made mention of the plane jacked up in the hangar with no tires... didn't mention how many are currently cannibalized for parts.

7. Did I mention you won't be paid on time? A330 pilots... changes are about... he mentioned how your contracts were "wrong", but they're fixing them. Unilaterally, I'm sure. It was asked if that meant if those pilots would also now be paid late to "harmonize" with other pilot's late pay. No comment.

8. If you think a lot of folks left in August, let me just suggest that Sept will be a new record. To say the pilots weren't impressed with what the future is at Arik would be an understatement. I'll guess a full 10% pilot workforce loss as soon as paycheques arrive.

9. One non-expat crew will be sent this year for the A330.

10. Yes, pilots were told us that exactly one year ago.

11. Yes, they went to class in Jan 2010... for about 8 days, and then the Arik crews were sent home to be replaced with new hire expats. I'm sure that won't happen (note: new A330 manager will make sure it happens. His cronies are ready for 15/15 and regular paycheques).

12. New COO, at the end of meeting, made references to him "walking right out that door" if things didn't improve. So did Jason Holt. He lasted 6 months. I'm not confident this guy will go that long.

13. Like the week previous, acting MD Chris couldn't be bothered to show up. Or any of the other big wigs. Clearly, pilots are not that important.

14. New COO made a closing comment, "The Emirates of Africa", which got a LOT of snickers, and open laughing. What a clueless loon.

15. As crazy as Nigerian Airways was, the pilots were always paid on time. Something to consider when we predict how much longer this charade of an airline shall continue.

16. New competition is moving in (4 A320's so far) to swoop up all the upset customers who would never fly Arik if given a choice.

17. Staff in London are ALL paid on time. Every time. You won't be though.

18. No word on the actual implementation of an expat 30/30 rotation.

19. Frequent sprinkling of the words like, "330, 340, 380, 777, 999, 123245323" to which pilots are supposed to drop their jaws in awe. It doesn't work anymore. He did mention those all being pushed back to 2013 or 2014, which means in the Queen's english, "We're so broke, we can't afford to cancel the orders."

20. No, you won't be paid on time.

21. Did I mention, you won't be paid on time?