PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Yep, safe to fly in controlled airspace.
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2010, 21:55
fltlt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FFS, how funny, we actually have an Altima, H1 and a Nissan truck that have the manned/unmanned capability. You can even "drive" them unmanned by a handheld game controller, watching the video feed, although the braking function is a tad harsh, being none progressive. The Avalanche has over 100,000 miles, probably the highest mileage road going manned/unmanned around, used as a test bed.

It is amazing, one does not appreciate how much information the human brain analyzes and acts correctly on (most of the time) when driving. The computing speed/power and sensor capability required to replicate it (again, most of the time) is absolutely, pardon the pun, mind boggling. Not to mention the cost.

And aside from the complexities of "driving in formation with hundreds of other idiots at high speed" then throw in road conditions, weather conditions, sensor degradation (dirt, mud, snow, salt etc.) stir it all up with a dose of emf, throw in a few pedestrians and you have an insurance companies nightmare, not to mention manufacturers liability.

But until you have sat behind the wheel of a manned optional unmanned vehicle in the u/m mode whilst it is "driving itself" you have no idea how unnerving it truly is, even when you know most of the time it goes where it's supposed to. I foolishly asked if it could do it as well in reverse as in drive, never again.

And yes, to join the clan, I too have hours in the air, years in RPV/UAV and years in UGV.

Experience is the knowledge that indeed, the last time I did this, that happened. And it does.

Have to be down to around 4 quid by now.