PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid-Air Collision over Southern Germany (merged)
Old 11th Aug 2002, 08:31
Proceed As Cleared

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The management was clearly overwhelmed and under prepared for such an eventuality
I agree with you on that, and I think you can't really blame them for that since such an event is the absolute nightmare for everyone directly or indirectly involved.

And I can imagine that it was also the sheer pressure of having to inform the public in order not to get blamed for trying to hide anything.
But having dealt with certain managers involved in the information process I can honestly state, that their integrity is beyond reproach and therefore I do not believe that it was their intention to misinform the public.

Understaffing is a widely common problem for ATC providers (with only a few exceptions...yet), caused too often by insufficient personnel planning in the past.

And ATC providers in general will have to revise working practices like single manned operations (very common).

Getting distracted can happen easily and must not be underestimated even with little traffic to handle.

However, as I've stated above, there appear to be other factors involved which led to the collision, apart from what Skyguide allegedly contributed.
And it would only be fair to acknowledge that.