PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Weight and balance?
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2010, 21:05
Slickster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe the C of G changes once airborne, to the centre of lift, so where you were sitting is irrelevant, with regards "I'm over the wing - it makes no difference". Everything is promulgated on the worst thing happening, and if I get an engine failure on take off, those three seats might make all the difference to me struggling to control the aircraft.

Juan Togoh is correct, in that weight and balance are critical in all stages of flight. But, I daresay, if all passengers ran to the back of the aircraft during flight, we might have the chance to do something about it. We do not have that luxury at take off, or landing, which is why passengers are required to move back to their allocated seats during such phases.

As this is is a CC crew Forum, I'll give you my short shrift answer. You readily admit that if the captain had told to move you had have, but considered it "idiotic" from the CC. Well, anything coming from the CC comes from the captain, by delegation, so just do what you're told, as indeed I would if I was on your helicopter.

Last edited by Slickster; 12th Sep 2010 at 21:16.