PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Biennial Flight Reviews (BFR's)
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2010, 14:34
MakeItHappenCaptain

Location: Hollister, Hilo, Pago Pago, Norfolk Is., Brisbane, depending which day of the week it is...
Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts
Mine tommorow, $165-00 plus aircraft. XXX think that other crowd are having a lend.? Sounds ridiculous. Still $165 for an hours work, pretty good $$.
M
If you can get a "proper" review done in 1 hour, you either fly with the instructor regularly or he's an idiot for being willing to stick his name on your license for the next 2 years without doing anything at all.
Guarantee (and I've had it happen to me) if you stack it over the next two years, whoever stuck their name on the review is going to be one of the first people CASA and ATSB are going to be visiting to make sure that the reason you stuffed up was satisfactorily covered at the last review.

People, do not view an AFR as a chore.
It is an opportunity to bring your knowledge of the rules, regs and most importantly your flying abilities to a SAFE level. I wouldn't say I rant on about it, but XXX has the right impression in that how many PPLs honestly practise emergency procedures between reviews?
Remember, you can't just pull over to the side of the road and call the auto club when something goes wrong.
THIS SIT WILL KILL YOU IF YOU FCK IT UP!
That being said, IT IS NOT A TEST. You should treat this as an opportunity to learn something new, or at least a different way of doing something you already know.

Not drumming up business, but I will either charge for 3 hrs briefing (regardless of how long it takes, usually ~4 hrs) and whatever the dual rate on the company a/c is (about 1.5-2 hrs) or $300-350 if it's the customer's a/c. I find a frightening number of pilots whose last review consisted of 3 circuits. I have had no complaints about the amount of information provided and time that goes into keeping them current.

There is a CAAP on the topic and GAPAN also has some good information on the subject.

For PPL reviews, the Day VFR Flight Guide (available only online on the CASA site) is a bible.