PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helmets in offshore ops?
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2010, 08:44
2papabravo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't help feeling this issue is rather simple:

1) Does clear evidence exist regarding the noise reduction? Numbers rather than the anedoctal...

2) What is the weight of a modern helmet vs a company issued headset? An actual figure...not people talking about their old mil/civ helmets...

Once we have some facts rather than 'opinions' - this debate can move in a sensible direction. I think the nervousness of passengers is blown out of proportion. The notion that they would be quaking in their boots because we sit up front with helmets on is laughable. They are not stupid - simply keep them informed that its because we spend our working life inside a high noise-level environment and we require increased protection (assuming those facts I asked about demonstrate this). I'm sure they will quickly drift off back to sleep or get back to their paper. I saw people wearing helmets getting into Schweizers during training - it didn't drum up emotions of a 'war-zone' Colibri. Nor would it for PAX as they climb into their air conditioned, well lit cabin for their 1.5 hour flight to work.

I think its my back that's going to give out first rather than my hearing...where's the thread on that??

2pb