PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde engine intake "Thrust"
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2010, 08:26
M2dude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Landroger
Its a bypass? The "power" is generated by the action of shock waves slowing the air mass and passes around the 593 to mix with the core engine exhaust within the buckets? So, it is the opposite of a High Bypass fan, in that a core of 'relatively low' velocity air from the 593, is surrounded by a tube of very high velocity/energy air from the intake?
Not quite Landroger, but really close. The Concorde intake design is what is known as a 'two stream' intake. What this means is technically the inlet capture area itself is fixed, with 'unwanted' subsonic air passing over the ramp surfaces. Now this basic design is not uncommon, F14, F15, Tornado, MIG 25 etc., but the spilled subsonic air in these designs is ejected overboard, giving very little in the way of secondary benefits, and in fact the secondary airflow at all is technically a small waste of energy. What is totally unique about the Concorde design is that the dumped secondary airflow is used to radically enhance the performance of the secondary nozzle exhaust, If you look at the diagrams in post #13 you will see that the jet eflux is nicely following the contour of the wide open secondary nozzle buckets. Without the cushioning airflow coming off the intake ramp bleed, the high pressure exhaust gas (16 PSI) as it meets the very low pressure ambient air (only 1.04 PSIA at 60,000') would flare outwards acutely, wasting a large amount of thrust. The inake thrust gets generated from the huge increase in static pressure, acting on the divergent wall of the intake and ramp assembly.

I refer to the 593, buckets and intake as components, because the whole assembly is 'The Engine'. Is that how you see it? Please say I've got it, because its been doing my head in since the statistic (75% thrust from intake) was first mentioned.
Yes Landroger, you certainly HAVE got it. The important concept to grasp is that you have to consider the powerplant as the 'engine' if you like. It's the intake, engine and nozzle assembly that were able to work together in such perfect harmony, but each component was totally codependant on the others.

Dude