PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RFDS Western Operations
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2010, 23:21
Wally Mk2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The trouble with operating a few diff types means lots of extra bucks by way of type training, ongoing training, maint & mission adaptability. OH&S (re loading etc) together with all the other issues associated with a new type into the country means headaches. Sure the 'pig' might be suitable for some types of ops but any business even the RFDS looks at whether the 'tools' (being the airframes) can be utilized for ALL the tasks required for that business. This is where the B200 can't be beat considering it's ruggedness, safety & mission ability, I don't mention that 'other' airframe as it's not universally accepted as the best/safest option across Oz for Aero Med work. So the 'pig' in my opinion isn't suitable for that as has been mentioned here. Simply put I'd be very surprised if the 'pig' gets selected anytime soon.
I reckon 'IF' the bean counters really want a mission type machine IE long dist transfers etc then a jet is the go, cheaper & easier to fly.
We recently had a Beech go to CNS from ML, nuts! Too far for a turbo prop & took out an airframe for two days not to mention the crew. We need JETS not 'boats'

Wmk2