PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions II
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2010, 18:13
Phil Rigg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I personally think it should be a "yes" vote received from 50% +1 of the entire workforce who are eligible to join the union whether they have actually joined the union, and thus participated in the strike ballot, or not. I see whether an eligible employee chooses to join the union or not as being an essential first part of any ballot. Then the lesser the number of employees who choose (or 'vote' initially) to join the union the greater the percentage of actual voting union members required in any strike ballot required to achieve the 50% + 1 of the entire workforce.

This would eliminate the ludicrous situation we currently have of BASSA claiming 75% support for the strike (after excluding non-union staff and union staff who are not at Heathrow, etc., etc.) when the truth is more like only 27% of the entire workforce who are eligible to join BASSA.

How can the law permit and protect so few people in being able to cause so much damage to so many?

Further, there seems something very wrong to me in union leaders being able to advise members to vote in favour of strike action even though they don't intend to strike. There appears to be a tremendous imbalance as the employer has to be squeaky clean in everything it does (e.g. not inducing union members to resign, etc.) whereas the union can behave as an openly dishonest bunch of renegades while being afforded incredible protection and immunity from the liabilities arising in the substantial damages it can inflict on a very broad group of completely innocent people.

Just my opinions based on a strong sense of 'fairness' and 'personal accountability'

Last edited by Phil Rigg; 11th Sep 2010 at 18:54.