PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Guide for USA pilots to fly in Russia airspace
Old 11th Sep 2010, 17:55
wao

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Dick,

I've also looked for a decent explanation of ops in Russia but haven't come across one.

Level allocation is in meters, as mentioned; be aware that the Russian level system is pretty much unique to Russia as compared to other airspaces that uses meters as well. So for example FL381 is a cruising level in Russia, but not in China, where FL374 is the next one down.

AIP Russia (if you can get your hands on one) or Jepps would be a good source. Only addition I would give is that ATC is generally good across the continent. Level of English varies, but most of us make the mistake of speaking too fast or unclearly and therefore don't get what we need. In my experience Russian ATCOs are very friendly and helpful but the language barrier is big.

Routing, level, etc. requests can be met with a sharp 'Nyet' - reality is that because they don't have the language to offer an alternative, they don't - but don't be afraid to ask again, with something specific and clear - you'll generally get it.

Enjoy!