PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helmets in offshore ops?
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2010, 17:40
Horror box

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good luck with your wishes Macaco and all of you who want to wear one - I have no objection.

I don't plan to have an accident or be floating around in the oggin. I fly a large, well maintained, twin engine helicopter from A to B and back again at 3000 feet and have been flying helicopters for 30 years.

I have more chance of being run over by a bus in the high street and I certainly don't wear one there.

Get a decent headset - Peltors are crap.

Epiphany - I suggest you re-read at least the very first page of this thread, and you will see that this is not just about crash protection. In fact that is a secondary to the real issue, which is the loss of hearing issue. I too wore a Mk4 for my military flying career, and it certainly was not the most comfortable thing in the world, but I certainly had a far better hearing protection than with a headset. In my time in the military, I never experienced any hearing problem at all. After the first couple of years flying S92 I started to get a deterioration in my hearing audiogram tests. We are seeing this now in extremely high incidences, especially on the S92, and have had several cases where pilots have had to stop flying due to tinnitus.
I am very glad to hear that you don't plan on having an accident or floating around in the water, and you will be pleased to hear that neither do I, nor for that matter any pilots that I know. The fact remains however, that I know quite a few others who did not plan on having an accident either, but somehow they still did, and some were also on very safe A to B routes. Some survived and some did not. Personally I hope to god that I never do end up in that nasty scenario where all is going wrong, but I will be prepared if it does in every way possible, including knowing my aircraft, procedures, drills and not letting myself get complacent for a second. Who knows when that lightening will strike or a large bird might take out the tail rotor, or the gearbox fails, or some other form of serious mechanical failure rears its ugly face, or you fly yourself into the water because of some chain of CRM failures during an ARA on your very safe A to B. Or perhaps because you have been flying for 30 years already, it won't happen to you. I don't mean to be flippant, but all these things have happened very recently and caused an aircraft to hit the water. I bet none of those crews planned on an accident either.