PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A lot of pilots leaving the forums
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2010, 09:10
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Indeed the issue is airports. How many close even as late as 6 or 7 pm if you are lucky - and a lot earlier in the winter? My airport has started to refuse fuel until 9-30 (although hopefully it will change back to 9). I suppose the trouble is most people dont care because they are "bimblers". When I have a meeting I like to be away before 9 and often back after 6 and I havent got the time to sort the fuel out the day before. This sort of thing is just yet another nail in the coffin for some who end up concluding they might just as well drive.

Places like Fairoaks have the right model. Is it any surprise they have so many Jetprops, twins etc. You simply sign the indemnity and come and go as you please. If you cant land your TBM at 9-00 pm in the Summer it immediatley starts to loose some of its utility value.

I recall my first trip from to Merritt Island. It suited me to go after dark, but after a three hour flight it would be gone 22-00. Obvioulsy the airport would be closed so bin that idea. You can imagine the airport thought they had a mad man on the 'phone when I asked for their opeing hours - its 24/7, but you and the security guard might be the only people they said.

Pace - your comment about OCAS slightly surprises me as well. Another trouble in this country is that when you need the service most because the world and his wife are flying the service is over loaded. When it is grey and miserable no one is flying and those who are transponding. For those reasons if you are using an aircraft "seriously" I think some form of TAS makes sense - although in fact it is the big sky that will keep you safe nearly all the time.

Personally I dont think a high despatch rate is achievable with a single (unless it has CAPS) and unless it is de-iced. You will end up doing too much flying with low bases and no flying in the colder months. Many accept the risk of IMC with low bases in singles but it worries me.

All that said it is surprising how good the despatch rate can be in any half sensible single - certainly better than 80%. I dont think for some that should be confused with pushing the limits. With experience flights can be conducted in weather that looks unpleasant perfectly safely. Fronts, embedded CB activity etc are the issues not just low grey cloud. However with the lack of redundancy on so many singles and the total reliance on the engine inevitably unexpected problems are much harder to manage hence the outcome is much more likely to feature in the reports.