PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bell 412 start and performance questions
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2010, 00:07
spinwing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mmmm ...

212s & 412s(with -3B engines) and 412 EPs (with -3D?) engines certainly do start differently.

In the early days the so called 'Okanaghan' start was used because of the problem with the idle stop solenoid activation.

I understood that Bell in their wisdom modified the solenoid so it would operate reliably at a lower voltage but could be jammed by friction of the mechanism if an inexperienced pilot has an issue with the start routine.

After so many years and thousands of hours in the beasties ... (particularly with the 412EP) I now just do a check prior to start to ensure that the throttle IS in Idle Cut Off then hit the starter .... at >12% N1 gently roll the throttle to modulate the start ... the lightoff is gentle very much like with the -3B and under normal conditions acceleration good .... (if the battery or starter dies ... then there is no panic I just roll off back to ICO and all is well) as the monster goes through about 35-40% with a reasonable rate of acceleration I roll thru the stop to the idle position and at >55% disengage the starter .... simple ...

212 Vy was 54 Kts and the 412 around 70 Kts depending on Gross weight etc.