PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod MRA.4
Thread: Nimrod MRA.4
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2010, 20:28
davejb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Samantha....
Okay, there will be some folk who don't agree that she had the personal kudos of an 'A' cat with 10,000 hrs maritime.... but I doubt there are many folk who knew the lady who would prefer to share a desert island with, say, an 'A' cat wet man with 10,000 hrs.....

Airde-Whyte (and let's be honest, what an odd way to settle on naming your new sprog), Fincastle.... the competitions were okay when it was level playing field, but became a bit pants when MR1/MR2 changover came round - for a start, as every dry man knows, the initial big improvement was changing from ASV21 to Searchwater, so radar detections of the target immediately gave you a £200 fine and a trip to jail.

Both comps were wet oriented so even though the dry kit went 500% better MR1 to MR2 it didn't matter. Then the dry team got colour, which was a huge improvement, and the comps still pandered to the 'can't make a decision until we've all voted' brigade* finished the third chorus....

All the comps ever proved was that nobody knew what WW3 would look like. Just to keep things fair they allowed a complete retard to specify the MR2 ESM kit, which didn't work worth **** and made full use of modern improvements in PC technology by focussing on the ability to make people memorise a phone directory.
(ARAR/ARAX was better, at least it didn't tell porkies).

Dave

* Okay, I admit it, this is an unjust dig - it's not an exact science and that's maybe the quickest way to average out opinion...but it still made the average dry guy chuckle to see a wet man canvassing how many sugars to put in his tea....**

** Dammit, okay, I admit this was just a wind up as well.....but I wouldn't let my daughter marry one....