PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Go around!
Thread: Go around!
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2010, 18:53
frequentflyer2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mrs FF and I were on our way back from our first holiday together in November 1984. We were travelling on a Dan Air BAC 1-11 from LGW to BFS. I can't accurately remember how many go arounds we had as the pilot attempted to land - we think three. On the final attempt he told us if we didn't make it this time we were diverting to DUB. Fortunately, he managed to land. Apparently, the problem was low lying fog and the pilot said he was embarrassed to tell us a British Midland flight had made it on to the runway between our go-arounds.
Fast forward 13 or 14 years to an Embraer 145 on its approach to MAN from BHD. We were admiring aerial views of Stockport when the plane suddenly rolled violently to one side, righted itself and rolled violently the other way. It seemed to shoot up and down at the same time.
The pilot aborted the approach and climbed away. He then contacted cabin crew to see if anyone had been injured before explaining the aircraft had flown into the wake turbulence of a widebody. He said we should have been placed much further behind it. I don't know whether this counts as a go around or not as it didn't happen within feet of the runway but still very close to the airport.