PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight deck positions at FlyDubai Master Thread - Merged
Old 10th Sep 2010, 17:02
fly2AK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well despite what you all say it sounds a lot like most low fare setups these days but with nice new aircraft and good money. I have applied twice with 2 different emails( I was not current the first time and no way to update application), I have 9000 hours of which 8000 on 737s and havent heard a word. Is there any way to follow up an application, ie email address or phone number?

This is a quote from "wacked" on page 31 and seems to be the consenses of the European low cost airline pilots. You will also hear references to Southwest as well and FD being the Southwest of the middle east. FD is so far from the Southwest culture it isn't even funny. SW from day 1 has made employees the number one priority above their customers. They can do this because they know if they take care of their employees, the employees will be happy. Happy employees are motivated and caring and in turn will pass on that good hospitality onto their passengers. This creates happy passengers, happy passengers make repeat passengers. Repeat service makes good business and good business makes money.
Southwest has been around for 39 years and have made profits for the last 37 of those years. Pilots are the happiest in the industry right now and from the many friends I know there average 16 - 17 days off a month and fly 80 - 90 hrs a month. They all love their job and are treated and paid very well. The SW pilots are the highest paid 737 pilots in the world. SW operates 544 737's and this happens smoothly because the employees make it happen.
Now let's talk about Virgin America and Allegiant. Although they are not the highest paid they do compare in QOL. VA junior line holders are getting 16+ days off a month same as Allegiant with up to 19 days off a month and still flying 80-90 hrs a month. All these companies have preferential bidding. Some guys have a string of 10 days off a month.
Jet blue another low cost with happy people (minus on flight attendant). The point is it works, keep your people happy and the company will operate efficiently and with less hassles to deal with. I disagree with FD being the best low cost out there. However for the Europeans that might be the case, I have heard the stories of the European low cost carriers and I just ask, why did you put up with that for so long? The poing to take away from the posters on this board is there are unhappy people and there are the happy people. You have to listen to the facts that are presented to you, generally by the unhappy people and decide if this is the job for you. The happy people usually only post opinions and not much fact. Listen to the fact and decide. Unfortunately, if you are thinking of coming and hoping or expecting change, then you are feeding a vicious circle in the effect that as long as people are coming with the current conditions here and the pay nothing will change. It will only change if it has too, so as long as pilots come and pilots stay to fly their airplanes, life at FD will remain the same. Best of luck with your decision on FD and remember FD is not the SW of the desert . Their only similarity is they both fly B737's and SW has many more of those and many more people happy enough there to make SW their one and only career airline. Disclaimer "I didn't have time to proof read so excuse the spelling or grammer errors" Thank you for your cooperation!