PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DERRY/LONDONDERRY
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2010, 16:30
Amelia Earhart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hadn't realised Kerry was 3 per week. That means that Kerry's loading on Alicante was just 55% in August! (July was a little better at 64%).

If someone isn't doing their homework they might pull that route for next year which would be a shame for Kerry since they carried similar numbers to LDY but on three flights instead of two. The lesson is surely that Kerry can only support two flights per week not that the route is unworkable. Also the flights arrived in pretty late, particularly on a Monday when it arrives after midnight, not a great time for renting a car or trying to get to Benidorm or Torrevieja.

It reminds me a bit of the messing that has gone on on some of Derry's routes with the consequence that loads fall and then the previously successful route gets pulled because someone draws the wrong conclusion by simply looking at the bottom line and not trying to work out what the problem was.

I was jealous of Kerry at the time getting a third flight but I sure am glad now that LDY didn't because I would rather being sitting on a load factor of 88% (for August) with the prospect of it running again next year rather than having enjoyed an extra flight this summer with the prospect of no flight next summer.

Knock's Alicante loading for August looks like 91%.

I used to think Ryanair had the Midas touch but I'm now convinced their crystal ball is no better than my own. In fact worse: LDY-AGP is rather obvious according to my crystal ball.