PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Forward Slipping a 737-800
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2002, 19:25
john_tullamarine

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts
spleener,

You do not provide details of the Airbus data to which you refer. However, your description suggests that you are referring to design static loads. Some problems relate to whether the prescribed loads are, in fact, the most severe or merely presumed extreme loads .. quite apart from the potential for dynamic responses giving rise to higher loads than are obtained by steady or smooth/steady control inputs ....

bugg smasher,

I have no problem with slipping .. quite clearly the manoeuvre is a necessary function of getting from A to B. My concern is only with some of the thread's comments which infer that ill-considered pilot control inputs do not present a potential problem ... as to whether the SLF might be adversely impressed by substantial slipping is another consideration altogether.

dvt,

Again the problem (regardless of flight loads under consideration) relates to whether the design standard prescription is, or is not, sufficiently conservative to cover all reasonably expected real world situations. There have been instances in the past where the design standards have been found wanting and beefed up somewhat ... tailplane ice-related stalling, prescription of sharp-edged gust profiles, and earlier fatigue spectra assumptions come to mind, for instance. I wouldn't suggest that one ought to avoid slip manoeuvres .. merely that one ought to be conservatively cautious in large aeroplanes ... small trainers, such as the beloved SuperCub and like ilk on the other hand, are far more suited to heavy handed slip inputs.

As to the situation where the aircraft is held high or whatever ... if one cannot reconfigure to a higher drag and achieve a steeper profile at lower speed, then a precautionary early miss or orbit is probably the better option. My experience is limited to dinosaur Boeings .... there was no problem in achieving 1-1.5 nm/1000 when that was necessary ... provided that one was well ahead of the game plan and dirtied up early ... this might need to have been effected at 10,000-12,000 feet on occasion ... but it works just fine. The pilot who is just along for the ride and enjoys surprises, however, is an accident just waiting to happen sooner or later.

This has been a fun thread, though .....