PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From Zero to Forty Five - my PPL Diary
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2010, 11:14
mazzy1026

Spicy Meatball

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This thread is bringing back some memories

Glad to see people doing well - each time I write here, I always think it will be the last!

I myself have unfortunately given up my 'wings' (albeit just the fixed ones ). I fell into the same group that have done the same routes, ran out of people to take, and not been able to justify the £120 a month just to fly outside controlled airspace for 20 mins. All that said - I would do it all over again if I went back in time. I would never give up the fact that I have achieved the PPL, regardless of the outcome.

All is not lost however....

For a good while now I've been thinking of another form of flying - something that costs around £3 per hour (after initial outlay) will be set up from the boot of my car, is unregulated and gives me 100% freedom. In a few weeks time, I will be taking up this:

YouTube - K2 Paramotoring NO HANDS!!! Powered Paraglider World's Safest, Most Stable & Easiest To Fly!!!
YouTube - #4 Paramotoring Spectacular Moab!! Powered Paragliding Adventure!! Backpack Aircraft Are REAL!!!

I have no particular link to the above videos - I just picked two of the good ones.

I've spent months and months researching this - it's not like buying a TV from Comet. Reviews are sparse and bias, different people just want you to buy their gear, and there's not a lot of people doing it, thus the community is a lot smaller.

Having said that, I'm at a point now where I have a club, instructor and a list of gear I need so it wont be long before I'm up again.

So, if you see a big fella tootling along under a big canopy in the north west region soon, then it may just be me (and please don't fly into me)

Cheers everyone - take care,

Lee

PS: madgav - really sorry I missed your last post. I would like to wish you belated congratulations, and I do hope you're enjoying your new found wonders...