PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - China Airlines B747 Crash (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2002, 18:35
JohnBarrySmith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HD> Fact is I'm tired of banging my head into the wall with the Moonie pilot. I actually feel sorry for him and don't want to embarrass him any further. Firehorse may be of a similar inclination.

JBS>Please, oh, please, HotDog, please don’t go. ‘Please don’t go down to New Orleans, baby, please don’t go.” Van Morrison.

JBS>Look, if it’s banging your head into the wall with the Moonie (sic) pilot, there is a satisfactory solution to your problem...remove the wall. When you do your research on why cargo doors fail in flight, that will supplement your knowledge of why they shouldn’t fail in flight and you will know more than most, you will understand, the pain will go away, and your opinions will carry weight.

Can you trace the trail of the best and only direct evidence available for China Airlines Flight 611, Air India Flight 182, United Airlines Flight 811, Pan Am Flight 103, and Trans World Airlines Flight 800? The only direct evidence is the sudden sound on the CVR. That is as if a person were there and told us what he/she heard. It’s direct, it’s not circumstantial, it’s not deductive, and it’s not hearsay.

That trail of best evidence leads to explosive decompression in a ruptured open cargo door event in a wide body airliner. That trail specifically veers away from a bomb explosion in a wide body airliner.

As you understand the links in the torque tubes of the door, or the wiring in the unlatch motor sequence, follow the links from DC 10 ruptured open cargo doors to Boeing 747 Air India Flight 182 to Pan Am Flight 103 to Trans World Airlines Flight 800 to United Airlines Flight 811 to China Airlines Flight 611.

(One of the SmithAAR appendices has the AAR for a Comet accident, Yoke Peter, which, for Boeing 747s, is 'meet the new boss, same as the old boss', explosive decompression when pressurized hull ruptures inflight.)

The Boeing 747s all have that sudden sound on the CVR which has been extensively analyzed and it all comes back to the CVR sudden sound on a ruptured open cargo door event in a wide body airliner. Details in corazon.com

The evidence in photos and text of the wreckage shows those Boeing 747 cargo doors ruptured open in flight; How and why and when is very difficult to understand and hard to prove, as study of the official and unofficial AARs of those accidents will show. An explosive decompression leaves no evidence of itself, it’s invisible...but it does make a sound that gives it away. Faulty wiring is very hard to prove because the short to bare wire can be a very small chafe hole in the miles of wiring which is scattered all over the ground or ocean.

HD>I actually feel sorry for him and don't want to embarrass him any further

JBS>Your false sympathy is understood as an excuse to hide your eyes and ears of the enormity of the implications about wiring and cargo doors in all these thousands of airliners. My reply is don’t worry about embarrassing me in this forum, I would rather make a fool of myself here among fellow pilots, crewmembers, and aviation enthusiasts, then on national TV or in front of professional accident investigators. One humbling thing I have learned about aviation safety is there is no embarrassment, shame, pride, or fear when it comes time to make life and death decisions. Staying alive is the thing and all that other human emotion stuff is for later in the ready room over a cup of coffee during the debrief.

And let Firehorse speak for him/herself. I have found that anonymous contributors have good reasons to be anonymous and that is that they never have to back up their claims or accusations. They can fade away. It’s also fear driven; fear for their job, or their reputation, or their promotion, or ‘embarrassment.’

Now for me, I’m working on my SmithAAR for China Airlines Flight 611 in the same format as the Smith AARs for Air India Flight 182, Trans World Airlines Flight 800, and Pan Am Flight 103: Four parts with appendices. At this time there is a dearth of information so I can dilly dally about with idle chitchat about ‘feelings’ of ‘feeling sorry’ ‘embarrassment’, ‘pain in head from head banging’ and deflecting scornful arrogant insults from those that wish to appear ‘superior’ in some way.

It’s a luxury to waste the time with bantering but at this time for me, I wait for more photos and text of the aft end of China Airlines Flight 611. You might use the time to better advantage if you would actually do your homework and read about the early model Boeing 747 accidents which have produced evidence in the form of photographs, text, drawings, recordings, and twisted metal which point to a ruptured cargo door inflight.

Why, how, when, how much, and what exactly ruptured in and around that cargo door of early model
Boeing 747s is open for speculation, guessing, hoping, thinking, and concluding, always keeping the option to modify pending further evidence.

For China Airlines Flight 611, it will the chicken or the egg: Door rupture then repair doubler failure, or repair doubler then door. The senior metallurgist at NTSB will determine that and that leads to James Wildey II, the metallurgist for Air India Flight 182, Pan Am Flight 103, and Trans World Airlines Flight 800.

It’s a small circular world.

Barry