PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde engine intake "Thrust"
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2010, 07:19
M2dude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Division of Powerplant Thrust in Concorde

I hope that this diagram just might make matters a tiny bit clearer. It clearly shows how the propulsive thrust is divided up among the various components, particularly the intake. As the airlow travels through the carefully controlled and complex inlet shock system, it exhibits a 600% rise in Static Pressure Ps, this huge pressure rise reacts against the divergent wall of the intake, giving us colossal amounts of thrust. Take a look at this quote from ' The Concorde Air Intake Control System:
A good impression of the efficiency of any engine/intake combination can be gathered by looking at overall intake pressure recovery, as this will determine compressor face total pressure, itself being a major parameter in determining powerplant thrust. The following example is given for the A/C just before Top of descent, Mach 2.0, ISA +5 (This equating to temperatures of Ts = -51.5 ºC, Tt = 127 ºC) and altitude = 60,000'
Freestream Total Pressure = 8.14 P.S.I.A
Freestream Static Pressure = 1.04 P.S.I.A
Freestream Dynamic Pressure = 7.10 P.S.I.A.
Compressor Face Total Pressure = 7.63 P.S.I.A
Compressor Face Static Pressure = 6.42 P.S.I.A
Compressor Face Dynamic Pressure = 1.15 P.S.I.A.
Compressor Face Total Temperature = 127 deg's. C

Analysis of the above-described case shows that there is:
A SIXFOLD INCREASE IN STATIC PRESSURE !!!
AN INTAKE PRESSURE RECOVERY OF ALMOST 94%. THIS IS AN EXCEPTIONALLY HIGH FIGURE, PRODUCED WITH A STATIC PRESSURE INCREASE OF 5.38 P.S.I.
A REDUCTION IN DYNAMIC PRESSURE OF 6.78 P.S.I. NO HEAT ENERGY IS LOST IN THE COURSE OF THE COMPRESSION PROCESS
The pivotal part of all of this is a staggering 94% recovery of the freestream total pressure (the pressure coming at the intake), this is what enables the engine to move the required amount of airflow, enabling the intake, engine and nozzle to provide the thrust required for supersonic engine operation without the use of reheat and with staggeringly low fuel flow values.

Dude [/font]

Last edited by M2dude; 10th Sep 2010 at 07:52.