PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Go around!
Thread: Go around!
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2010, 05:35
Old 'Un

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my 61 years, give or take a week or two, as SLF, I've only had one GA, and that was a double.

A squally,westerly day across the country, flying Wellington to Whanganui in an F27 (yeah, a LOOONG time ago!). First approach was good, but the a/c floated along the runway about 6-7 metres above it and would not come down. Power on, GA.

Second approach, very similar, same result.

Captain on p/a: "L & G apologies for this, but we're having a little difficulty as you can see in getting this flight to land. There's nothing wrong with the a/c other than it seems to want to keep flying, while we would prefer to land and let you passengers leaving us here get into the terminal. We'll have one more shot at it and then I'm afraid, if we don't make it down this time, we'll have to divert to New Plymouth". (our next stop) [Wording was something like that - can't remember exactly, but it was a very friendly ad lib and the skipper sounded quite relaxed]

Third approach was steeper and faster than usual with, I think, one notch less flap. Very little flare, and I swear he dropped it from about 6 feet and really stuck it onto the tarmac. A ripple of applause from the pax, then "Welcome to Wanganui - at last!" from the flight deck. Chuckles from most of the pax.

I got off at Whanganui and never did find out what the landing was like at New Plymouth.

Personal flying - a few GAs and missed approaches. One GA was a 'sheep on the runway' issue. What would you expect in NZ?

Le Vieux