PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Go around!
Thread: Go around!
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2010, 03:17
Dairyground

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In almost exactly 50 years of fairly frequent paxing, 2 GA and one that could have been but was't.

The first was in a Trident onto the now disused cross runway at Heathrow. A Handley Page Herald was landing at almost the same time on 28L (as it then was) and we gave it precedence.

The second was into Boston in thick cloud. Wheels down and full flap, then, still in the cloud, power came back on, wheels came up and flaps retracted stage by stage. Eventually, it seemed several minutes later, we broke out of the cloud and a little after that the Captain announced that one of the autoland channels was inoperative and ha could'nt see the ground in time for a manual landing. So we were going to Philadelphia instead (which pleased half the passengers as they were going there anyway). I was heading to Ottawa and eventually got there much later than I had expected.

The one that didn't happen was into Edinburgh on a very wet and windy day, before the new runway was opened. We were late out of London as the Captain didnt like the state of the tyres and had new ones fitted before we left. At Edinburgh, he came in very low and it seemed very fast over the A8, banged the wheels down hard right on the numbers, applied reverse thrust and just managed to stop before the other end of the runway.The landing was so firm that most of the overhead lockers opened themselves (but nothing fell out). The passengers gave an unprompted round of applause.

I have not, so far, experienced a rejected takeoff, although we did once get lined up on the runway and then slowly trundle back to the terminal to get something fixed. But that wasn't at all exciting.