PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions II
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2010, 02:27
Dairyground

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are the improved striker/non-striker relations that JSL reports from Gatwick putting in an appearance at Heathrow? I have flown both shorthaul and longhaul with BA quite frequently in the last three or four months and have noticed that the working relationships between cabin crew, at least to the extent that they are visible to passengers, seem to be almost as good as ever. The general level of attention to and interaction with the SLF has been up there with the best in most cases, from both the relative youngsters and those of of less tender years. The only exception that I saw was a young lady in WT+ on a flight from IAD to LHR who seemed to be keeping herself to herself and presented a fairly sour face to her passengers. Perhaps she had personal concerns not directly connected to the job. However, whatever her reasons she did not override the good impression and very friendly service given by a young man and an older lady to two involuntary upgrades into Club World on the outward trip.

A little while ago on one of the threads, I think it was the employees only, there were suggestions that strikers were wearing their passes with the picture inwards as a recognition symbol. Last Sunday on the way out to the "B" gates at T5 I noticed a group of cabin crew chatting happily, one with an inward-turned pass and others with pictures showing on passes hanging from BA (definitely not BASSA) lanyards. Was this a sign of improving times?

On a different theme, I recall that shortly before the first strikes BA said that any EC member who had booked a journey that was affected by the strike and was transferred to another airline would be credited with the points and miles they would have earned if BA had carried them. The same applied if they decided that they alternatives were no good and took the option of getting there money back. That leaves very little reason for avoiding BA in the face of theats of further strikes. Since it is likely that a full longhaul programme will be flown that time (if indeed a strike happens) there is probably nothing to be gained in booking a fully refundable first class fare in the hope that BA will cancel the flight before you ask for your money back.