PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2010, 01:03
Harbour Dweller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
herrtob,

I understand what you are trying to say however you are also missing what I am saying.

Traditionally the only reason CX had a cadet scheme was to nurture a sense of goodwill within the local Hong Kong community, nothing more. Basically, a points winning scheme to make CX look good in the eyes of locals. It provided the few locals interested in flying a chance of a career.

The cadet scheme was never really intended to be a source of pilot recruitment for the majority of CX requirements. That is why we had the DESO program & later the DEFO opportunity. Pilot's were recruited on full expat terms & conditions and this in return helped protect all CX pilots future's.

All CX management is doing is lowering the bar further by opening the cadet scheme to international applicants.

404 Titan has provided you with some very important insight into CX's motives. Don't underestimate what they are trying to achieve.

ps for anyone reading this, this is a free market and i have no problem with their program aimed to reduce costs (in fact i'm in the pool). supply and demand, you have your terms the companies have theirs, you either take it or leave it, some of us love it and put our head in.
Remember these words in 10 years to come.

When you are sitting in that nice shiny jet, middle of the night, tired and 1000's of miles away from your family all just to pay off the mountain of debt you have built up living in one of the world's most expensive cities you will regret what you have just said.

Finally, I am not saying don't chase your goals of flying professionally. By all means go for it.

Just be careful as to what you are really getting yourself into.