PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Regulatory Reform Program will drift along forever
Old 9th Sep 2010, 21:13
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
Gobbledock:

rmcdonal,
Thanks, appreciate that. I guess I could have articulated my confusion and desire for enlightenment in a more reasonable manner. In my line of work, in general, one person makes a decision, not a working group of a monumentous scale. I honestly do not understand their methodology is probably a better way of putting the question out there. I am not having a shot at any specific individuals at CASA, just wish I could see through the smoke and understand the runnings of the place as it would make life simpler.
And yes, I have removed my previous post after recieving advice from another source that I should finish my shift early, go and drink two Bundy's and take 20 mg of valium and sleep things off.

No! No! No! Gobbler, you just don't understand! Get it into your head that Australia is different! Let me explain:

Things that work perfectly satisfactorily overseas just will not work here.

Take the humble Cessna 172 for example. In the United States, where it was built, it is a humble run about and training machine, renowned for its docility, strength and tolerance. But be warned, once in the Antipodes, the Cessna 172 becomes a voracious predator and it requires special handling in a way that its original designers could not possibly have predicted. That is why you will find complete Australian published and calculated performance charts in many of them, indeed in literally thousands of Australian registered aircraft. The American or European performance charts are no longer relevant down here and the aircraft knows it.

It gets worse with larger aircraft. Even Airbus products. Indeed, some of them are so badly behaved down here that even CASA can't tame them and instead gives them exemptions - http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-reporting...te-safety.html

CASA knows all about the malevolent behaviour of inanimate objects once they reach the Antipodes. It goes to great lengths to protect us from aircraft of all sorts that work perfectly safely in their own countries, but just will not perform the same way in Australia without CASA attention and mandatory modification. Why guess what happened when the first Australian F18 was sent to Woomera for missile launching trials - the pilot pressed the tit and nothing happened because the aircraft was in the Southern hemisphere! This proves that what is good enough for Europe and America, isn't good enough for Australia!

But that is only the first part of the problem; rules and regulations are required to be stricter here because Australian pilots have no common sense whatsoever. I think its because of our convict past, but give an Australian pilot an inch and they will take a mile! My old school headmaster frequently punished students on the strength of his own famous pronouncement (which I know is known to at least one member of CASA) that "A breach of common sense is a breach of school rules".

However "common sense" is unknown to Australian pilots, hence unlike in America, the minutiae of preferred Australian pilot behaviour must be spelled out in voluminous regulation in great detail, together with the appropriate punishments for transgressors. Fortunately we have CASA to do this and protect us from ourselves.