PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Royal Navy to Buy F18F
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2010, 20:31
proudfishead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As hard as it is for Fishead types, the RN could be better served over the medium term by getting more FF/DD than CVF
I could not disagree more. Not only is rapidly deployable maritime air power key to the UK's desired expeditionary capability, the CVF has been the core of the RN's development of a Versatile Maritime Force. From the procurement of the T45, design of the Astute SSN, future tanker and logistics requirements, painful cuts in other areas of the RN and changes in infrastructure; the procurement of two CVF has been key.

However, despite being a Naval Aviator, I feel that we have been somewhat tribal in our vehement protection of the FAA's fixed wing capability. With the standard caveat that our fixed wing chaps do a fantastic job in an organisation fraught with politics. Had the RN gone to the RAF at the original design stage of the CVF and agreed that the RN would do what they are best at, driving and operating warships, and allowed the RAF to provide the tailored air group (FW) for deployments, along with rotational positions in key posts such as Wings, SATCO, DSATCO, Eng Officers etc, then their may have been more support for the project.

Instead, we return to being forced to adopt the "I need this, so he can't have that" form of inter-service procurement debate. UK PLC requires both CVF if it is to achieve it's current Foreign Policy aims. This does not mean that the RAF do not need new aircraft nor that the Army need updated armoured vehicles. However, the disproprtional force multiplication that is provided by a fully independent CVF which is able to deploy worldwide at short notice, self-sustaining and self-protecting, able to deliver air, land and maritime power without host nation support is invaluable.

I really think that cancelling or reducing the CVF project will be a decision that we regret for decades. The RN has given up too much over the last 15 years in order to procure these assets. The phrase for years has been "short term loss for long term gain". It would be dreadful to think that it has been "short term loss for long term decimation".

Jumping rapidly back to the thread subject. If the procurement of a COTS updated F18 saves £Billions compared to F35(any variant), then perhaps it's all the effect we can afford to purchase.