PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heathrow Inbounds descending over the top of London City outbounds
Old 9th Sep 2010, 17:45
slip and turn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As HD and Roffa know, I am also a local to the area in question.

I suppose it could be argued that it is the corporate traffic out of City which is most likely to bust a level if any does. I guess the pilots of such, especially if not City regulars, are more likely to fail to double brief themselves of this particular risk than to forget to check their performance figures for take off. And despite them correctly responding to clearances day in day out, the workload here and keeping up with the aircraft perhaps lends itself to a busted level here more than at other airfields.

As we all know, there on some days and times exists a continuous barrage of opposite heading other traffic, many of the pilots of which I imagine are in practice oblivious to the popularly denied risk of fast lower traffic busting levels up into their Heathrow approach, not so much trusting to TCAS perhaps as trusting that the ANSP has maintained the airspace in failsafe fashion. That they might be oblivious and also at a stage in their approach where they have been progressively turned and descended in the same area to within 1000 feet of opposite fast traffic and furthermore that they will often be largely distracted with a need to descend further and establishing on a neighbouring localiser within the next 60 seconds or so, clearly tempts fate?

I honestly don't know why so many of you in this forum have been so touchy about defending this LCY-LHR overlap over the years. I don't think you could point to anything else quite like it in UK airspace at least? It is no coincidence that at least two of these incidents have happened in exactly the same tiny piece of sky, now is it?

Goodness knows I was criticised enough as a mere mortal over daring to question you guys over it last time it made PPRUNe.

As a matter of general interest, Roffa, what procedure was put into place following the latest incident, please? Is it a delayed clearance down to 4000 for these particular LHR approaches perhaps? I sit here looking north into a view of the exact piece of sky as I type. I think of the last half dozen departures from LCY turning north, three were corporate jets, and I am guessing that in the same time there have been maybe a dozen and a half Heathrow arrivals heading south over Hackney, all of which I am guessing are generally not much below 5000 or 6000, without resorting to checking on a screen somewhere whereas a couple of months ago a good number of them would already be down to 4000 by Canary Wharf and immediately descending further..

It is a great view ... and better by miles on your kit ... of that I have no doubt.

Last edited by slip and turn; 9th Sep 2010 at 18:55. Reason: typo