PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The value of a First Officer versus the value of a Captain
Old 9th Sep 2010, 16:51
captjns

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my some 25 plus years as an airline training captain, I have and still enjoy imparting knowledge to first officers be they brand new or ready for their upgrade. I guess part of the imparting of knowledge is that I hope they remember what it was like being a brand new fresh out of the box first officer. I hope they will remember what it was like to fly with the worst of the worst beast master of captains to the best of the best nurturing captains that provided good CRM, techniques, and adherences to SOPs, etc. I guess what I'm trying to convey is thay when that F/O assumes their command, that they too will provide good information, and be patient to their first fresh out of the box F/O that they will be paired with.

perhaps some captains feel it an imposission flying with a newbie. After all when they interviewed for their job, probably as an F/O "nurturing kind captain was not part of their job description. But I'm sure more than less old salts feel it as a passing on of a legacy from one generation to the next, and automatically include the term teacher as part of their own job description.

BTW... I've always said that some of my best instructors have been the students I've flown with.

Last edited by captjns; 9th Sep 2010 at 18:36.