PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA pax tried to halt 777 take-off after taxiing error
Old 9th Sep 2010, 14:47
CaptAirProx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
May I take a different angle.

I can't find any discussion here mentioning why the cabin crew did not alert the flight deck by a company SOP alert function?? I assume that as the pax concerned with the departure point, was a BA Engineer, on a staff positioning ticket, he would therefore be known by the crew as such.

Now, I am thinking here, in my company/aircraft (sorry 411A but I dare to use my experiences to form a basis for discussion which ironically, you have aswell) if a crew member needs to alert the flightdeck to impending doom, they press the emergency call button to flightdeck. I accept a random pax is hardly going to invoke a split second reaction to press the button regardless, however a known qualified engineer who works on on type for BA must have more 'clout'?? I have not read the report, but did the cabin crew consider alerting flightdeck with said similar function?

I have been informed rather embarrasingly by the senior once on backtrack whilst turning in the end circle (wow I used full length) to inform me a pax could see fluid draining from the wing. I was able to just see it from pushing my head to the DV window and realised it was from the NACA overflow duct for the fuel surge bay . . . ooops. Thanks to a pax and good CRM - yes CRM we, as a team, stopped the incident from being taken into the air . . .

So, in this modern world of new age aviating, I claim at least one 'cock up' of mine/ours, has been resolved by team work where ALL crew are encouraged to play a role as the TEAM. So my experience if only minor in comparison is a proof of the concept of 'speaking up' to your superior.

I am left thinking that if I had possesed the attitude of a minor few on here, my Senior cabin Staff would have probably said to the pax "oh its fine - the captain knows exactly what he is doing" . . . . . Sadly the truth is, often he does not . . . thats human surely?

So to me this 'concept' goes beyond those in the flightdeck???? Isn't that what the 'new age aviating' preaches these days??

Last edited by CaptAirProx; 9th Sep 2010 at 14:52. Reason: Add a bit extra