PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Biennial Flight Reviews (BFR's)
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2010, 10:00
VH-XXX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1.0 hours minimum flight time usually.

Most schools are doing a little pre-test these days with around 20 or so PPL exam type questions including a weight and balance sample and weather questions. You probably can't "fail" this test but would be given the opportunity to address with the instructor.

My last one as I hadn't been with an instructor for 2 (the last AFR) years focused on air law, such as my responsibilities as the PIC, weight and balance, accurate flight planning, weather considerations in detail, TEMPO's etc. If you are the PIC then YOU are responsible for the flight and all paperwork and when you crash the coroner looks at YOU to make sure you have the answers.... that kind of thing, some scare tactics.

As far as the flight goes, I flight planned a trip, we temporarily entered CTA, departed for a CTAF, half way there diverted to another CTAF, did a flapless landing then a flapped, headed towards some tiny town that is hard to find by demonstrating my map reading abilities on the fly, using landmarks, estimating distance over time... that kind of stuff. On return, simulated engine failure glide approach from over-head.

There is a mob at Moorabbin quoting 2.5 hours plus 1.5 hours theory prior with a cost of $400 flat PLUS aircraft hire!