PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Am I Missing Something? Airline Miles Award
Old 9th Sep 2010, 07:23
c2lass

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I Missing Something? Airline Miles Award

We are looking to fly from ABZ to Dubai early next year. The prices are really high just now, even with the so called sales and the cheapest I can get is just short of £900 for the two of us with KLM. This year we paid £580 with Air France.

Now believe me I have been in every comparison site etc trying to get a deal but none are coming my way

So, this morning I receive an email from Flying Blue with a promotion on buying extra miles (20% bonus). Ha I think, now here could be an opportunity.

Well I have just around 17000 miles already. Not alot I know but I am only a twice a year flyer to Europe and Dubai. So I thought maybe I could buy more miles.

The maximum you can buy is 40,000 with 8,000 bonus at a cost of 1,000 euros.. So out of interest I price ABZ-DXB with miles. For two of us we need 80,000 miles Plus (now this is the thing) 734.10 euros for taxes and surcharges .

My point is, the price for your taxes and surcharges is nearly as much as the cash price I can get (well albeit a couple of hundred pounds) so what on earth is the point of these miles schemes. If I had 80,000 miles it would still cost me 734.10 euros of my money as well??

I know it is early in the morning yet but am I missing something here??