PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bomber Command Memorial
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2010, 23:54
Clockwork Mouse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a British serviceman in Germany attached to the Bundeswehr I took my wife and children to visit the German Navy war memorial near Kiel. It is to all the U-Boat crews who lost their lives in WW2 fighting for their country. The memorial is beautiful and lists the 700 or more U-Boats sunk by date and lists their crews who died, thousands of them.
We were moved and humbled. Though the young men listed had been our enemies, had killed thousands of my own countrymen and women and nearly brought my country to its knees, I felt only humility and compassion for them and their families and saluted their bravery and sacrifice. They too were doing their duty.
Memorials to the fallen do not glorify war. They honour the sacrifice of those who fought in their country's defence and show the cost of war. We will remember them! Incidentally most of the money for this one comes from donations, not from the taxpayer.
The Bomber Command memorial is long overdue. Perhaps the Mayor of Dresden should visit the U-Boat memorial in her own country and think about what such memorials really represent before daring to meddle in our business.