PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blocked Eustachian Tube
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2010, 23:29
serious

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Control it

I’m not a pilot but I do have a similar problem. I have lived with it on-and-off for 25 years and I must admit it’s a horrible thing as it can really drive you nuts. From what I can make out from this forum is that it has various triggers and can last for as long you mange to kill the infection or drain the excess fluid.

Triggers as stated on forum

Allergies: dust, food, pets, pollen…the usual suspects

Reflux: IBS or reflux sufferers may get it from complications between ear and throat

Water: Swimming, Bathing

Altitude: Air travel

Tips

If reflux sufferer – seek to control the condition with diet - ask GP

Lower your shower head – to below ear height – this can stop you getting it regularly - works for me

Give up Swimming – be carful of water in the ears even in the bath - only if water triggers yours

Antibiotics – If you’re lucky enough to get them will kill the infection and it will go fast but it will come back some other day - by GP perscription only

Clean ear carefully – get a lucky family member or friend to scoop out any goo or dry flakes in your ear but they have to make sure they just clear the outer ear not going too deep. Use a metal or plastic scoop – no ear buds and NOT to deep as they could make it worse - - ask GP if this is suitable for you

Drink lots of water – Make mucus thinner then It’s easier to drain and swallow

Paracetamol – can reduce ear swelling - ask GP if this is suitable for you

Reverse Valsalva Maneuver – hold your nose, cover your good ear, shut your mouth and breath in until you get that reverse popping sensation then swallow the gunk to drain ear - ask GP if this is suitable for you

Unfortunately you may have to utilise all methods to control it.

There are various posts of advice - good and bad. Get expert medical advice from your Doctor before trying anything you read online.