PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA exemptions and how they relate to safety.
Old 8th Sep 2010, 23:23
Frank Arouet

Location: dans un cercle dont le centre est eveywhere et circumfernce n'est nulle part
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The point I was making was that given the amount of "exemptions" that I see while sorting through the "chaffe to get to the wheat" it appears, in my humble opinion, that CASA regulates by exemptions rather than the strict application of the law. Something that is not afforded anyone who CASA get a "set on".

I'm unsure what the outcome was, but some time ago an endorsed bloke with a GFPT, was towing gliders and CASA said it wasn't to be. An exemption was sought and refused. Some meaning was lost with the introduction of the GFPT from the RPL. I understand you can now tow a glider in an ultralight.

Would that exemption be granted today, or has the law changed to facilitate this, (in a C172 for arguements sake).

RA-Aus only operate because of exemptions. Ten thousand pilots represents a sizeable chunk of the the flying community, yet they have a certificate, not a licence, as was promised earlier on with the recreational pilot Licence. From memory the new RPL (recreational),was to operate like the old RPL (Restricted), so people could fly C172's around the patch and tow gliders.