PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A lot of pilots leaving the forums
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2010, 23:15
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
Probably like many, I stumbled upon PPRuNe while searching for something else not at all related to private flying. I found the private flying forum among the rest, and thought "wow, there's probably lots to learn here!".

Then.... I started feeling old as a pilot. I saw many subjects going by which I had considered, experienced, and survived already in my flying. Sure, there are a few new things which are quite interesting, particularly regulatory changes, and new technology, but often I found myself more with an answer, than a question.

During my growth as a pilot, countless people have very generously helped me in all kinds of ways. So many people have taken me along, and shown me something new, or otherwise given of themselves so that I might be a better, or at least surviving pilot. I owe it back...

Where are the "keeners"?.... those kids who will hang around the airport, and do anything to get into the air. I was one, and did very well by it. I have had my plane here at home for twenty years, and I have only had one kid have the initiative to come and ask to go flying. I figure that there must be keeners around PPRuNe so I'll try to offer my debt of experience back here.

This is the first and only forum in which I participate. Though I like to think that my efforts to share the experience, and encourage aviation are appreciated, Like everyone else here with a valid opinion, I have endured participants who post beyond their station in aviation. You read a number of posts from a person, which seem to have some elusive value, and then months later that person posts that they just took their first lesson!

Aside from the flying which forms a part of my work, my flying is generally very solitary - no clubs involved... Plane is at home, I use it like (often in place of) the family car. I am not commonly in an environment where I can share aviation with those coming into our industry. I suppose I should try harder!

We who have survived flying, have a duty to cheerfully encourage "keeners" and "newbees" without being demeaning or elitist to them. We have a further duty to share wisdom, which we have received or learned the hard way, to help them stay alive. Accidents cost everyone money, and cast a poor light on our industry. We don't need that, so we must do our part to promote safe aviation.

So, I'll hang in there for a while, if for no other reason, than to pay back the debt I owe, of experience. Every now and again, someone gets me wound up here. I just go away for a few days, and enjoy all of the tangible things in my life. But it will take a stronger force than the trolls, abrupt wannabe's and people who refer to my plane as a "spam can" here to drive me away....

I have sought out, and had the pleasure of meeting in person, several PPRuNer's. In each case, it was a totally delightful experience, and completley worth the effort! It is excellent experiences like those which make the occasional PPRuNe battle seem meaningless by comparision...

So for the new people here, and in our industry, welcome, and feel free to ask your questions, we really are here to be helpful. Just don't be suprized if we have an answer that you were not expecting, or do not like. Aviation can be rather unforgiving! (but I, for one, will try not to be rude!). For the oldtimers here.... well, I'm one of you - live with it!