PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde question
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2010, 23:09
Alpine Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I cannot think of a civil airliner where the nose gear retracts backwards - they all retract forwards.
Well, the deHavilland Dash 7 has one, and I will take exception to anyone denying it airliner status. A small handpump is used to ensure downlock after freefall extension. (The Dash 8 and Fokker 50 have - much larger and draggier - backwards retracting main gear, assisted by handpump and springloading respectively for downlock after emergency freefall extension.)

Thanks to all Concorde experts for this truly wonderful thread. The ingenuity of design and the complexity of design that enabled the technological marvel that is Concorde never cease to amaze this humble airline driver. Having missed the opportunity to fly on Concorde is high on my list of aviatic regrets as well, and I'll have to make do with the memories of watching Air France Concordes taking off from CDG during our turnarounds there.

I could (and actually have) spent hours following this thread.

Is it true that Concorde was always flown by the highest seniority BA captains, copilots and flight engineers? Would Concorde usually be the last rung on the ladder before retirement for Captains/FEs or was it usual to return to slower equipment after a stint on Concorde?

And, sorry if I missed this, would Concorde thrust levers move during autothrottle operation?

Lastly, Concorde was originally to have had a large moving map system. Any insights into why and how that got scrapped along the way?

Thanks!