PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bomber Command Memorial
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2010, 23:00
A and C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just because some uninformed politicly correct revisionist may try to damage the Bomber command memorial is no reason not to build it......... It is vital that the nation is reminded of the price of freedom.

As to the Mayor of Dresden I would ask her to try to think what the victims of the gas chambers and ask what they would say about the people who were working towards the destruction of the Nazi's. I very much doubt that the victims of the Nazi's death camps would object to this memorial.

It seems very easy for this Mayor to forget the millions of men, women and children that the Nazi's sent to their deaths for no other reason that they did not fit in to Hitlers idea of what the human race should be.

I am proud of the efforts of Bomber command, I have no regrets of the actions that were taken as these were what was seen as what was required at the time and reasonable with the information avalable to those who were responsable for the planning of such raids.

There is no doubt that with the information avalable now the bomber offensive could have been better run, more effective and caused less destruction to the German civil population but this is looking back, it my opinion that the people involved did the best job that they could given the information and resorces that they had avalable at the time.

My message to to the Mayor of Dresden is to look inward to the German history of the 1930 to 1945 period and ask her if she feels proud of this?

I can look back and feel proud of all of the people who took some part in the destructon of the most evil govenment to ever soil the face of this planet.

I hold all the Bomber crews in the greatest of respect and cannot fail to remember the 55,000 who did not return. The very least we can do in their memory is to errect this memorial.