PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA pax tried to halt 777 take-off after taxiing error
Old 8th Sep 2010, 21:57
L337

the lunatic fringe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If 411's company policy is not to use them then all well and good.
Absolutely.

However, BA is not prescriptive about this issue. It allows its commanders, indeed empowers its commanders to make there own decision on the day, based on the prevailing conditions on the day.

You cannot operate out of LHR as your main base and insist on "no intersection departures." LHR has enough problems without the major player demanding the full length for every departure. Just crazy. And that is the key here. A small operator based in Riyadh (say) it is an OK SOP. But for BA based at the most slot constrained airport in the world, it is just a non starter.

For me as a BA 747-400 Captain, I will always use full length if at all possible. Always. However, sometimes I just have to compromise, and for a whole host of multiple reasons I will accept an intersection departure. I do it reluctantly, but accept that sometimes, on balance, it is the best decision. And BA trust me to make that decision. Not only that, they pay me a shed load of money to make that decision.

For a blanket.. never use intersections edict, it is forcing the operation into unnecessary crutches.